+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I just received this in an email from my season ticket account manager:

THUNDER ALLEY TO CONTINUE IN REGULAR-SEASON FORM
    Outdoor pregame festivities to end when game begins

OKLAHOMA CITY, Wednesday, May 23, 2012 – Thunder fans will continue to have a pregame opportunity to gather in Love’s Thunder Alley outside Chesapeake Energy Arena prior to the Thunder Western Conference Finals home games, but the event will conclude when the game begins. The Thunder will no longer show the game broadcast on the video board outside the arena.

Love’s Thunder Alley, an outdoor block party along Reno Ave, will begin three hours prior to tipoff and will end when the game starts. It includes music, games, food and drink, face painting for kids, Thunder merchandise sales and the Thunder Rewards Zone, a game-day opportunity to win or buy remaining game tickets.

The Thunder encourages fans to arrive early and enjoy Love’s Thunder Alley prior to the game. “It’s a chance in a safe, family-friendly environment for our fans to embrace the Thunder experience and get ready for the game. For those with tickets, they can enter the arena when doors open. Other Thunder fans can enjoy the pregame entertainment and then go to their favorite viewing establishment to watch the game,” said Dan Mahoney, Thunder vice president of Corporate Communications and Community Relations.
    Welcome to the new NBA. Four quarters of dance competition (Thunder Girls vs. the Laker Girls!) interrupted by brief displays of basketball.

Favorite quote: 'I can NOT sleep without a fan!' says Thunder Girl Emily

thanks for Posting it just sad that they came up with this

I agree with their decision as they are being proactive before something really bad happened at Thunder Alley during or after a game outside the arena.

My only question would be what are they going to use the video board on the arena for in the future?
    Welcome to the new NBA. Four quarters of dance competition (Thunder Girls vs. the Laker Girls!) interrupted by brief displays of basketball.

bummer ....
    http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/
    Kendrick Perkins on 5/10/2011: We are going to bring a title home to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderUpBeatTheSpurs View Post
    I agree with their decision as they are being proactive before something really bad happened at Thunder Alley during or after a game outside the arena.

My only question would be what are they going to use the video board on the arena for in the future?
    I think what will happen is that they are going to bring back the watch party with some new rules about it and they will have time to think about new ideas

someone tweeted Darnell and says same thing happened in LA after the 00 championship.They no longer play games on the displays inf font of the stadium he also says wasn't a shooting but a full on riot from the crowd celebrating the championship and finally he says prior to that they let fans congregate and watch the games on the displays outside of Staples Center. Fiew ruin it for all.
    It sounds like it happen in LA and i am glad that they stop it now instead of waiting because if we won the championship at home something bad can happen

It's a shame they cant come up with a temporary solution in the upcoming week. I hate to see the momentum lost on this unique downtown okc experience. The city's goal of getting people downtown is thwarted by their inability to handle a crowd of 6,000 to 7,000...very short-sighted. I was hoping for a temporary fix...iincrease in security, less alcohol sales, more seating, etc. If we could make it through the playoffs with "a bandaid and a prayer", we would have a year to implement a more comprehensive plan for next year's playoff run. If we can put a man on the moon, surely a bunch of smart Okies can figure this out in a week.

There's still 18,203 seats inside where people can be part of the game safely.

If you are a season ticket holder that's great. It is a lot tougher to secure a ticket if you are not. Especially if you need seats together and can't afford to pay 5-10x face value on a scalper owned seat.

Way to go, the officials making this decision just let some punk tweens who haven't a single clue, affect thousands of people.

Nothing should have changed other than increase in security and let the cops beat the sh!t out of some people when they act out of line. Seriously all it will take is the cops to start dropping some of these punks when they act like a 'thug'.

I am extremely disappointing in this decision - one more step backward for OKC, as if we weren't far enough behind already - now we can't even control a crowd of 10 thousand people. What do they expect if we win a championship? Everyone to calmly walk out shaking hands and saying "see you at church tomorrow!"?

There's lots of mini watch parties throughout town where people can watch the game for free (especially if you don't get TNT on your TV). There's a lot less chance of something really bad happening in a restaurant of 100 versus a crowd of 6,000 just roaming around in a very tense gathering.

Just imagine if that 16 year old (who has now confessed) had lost his cool (or whatever) while still at Thunder Alley and opened fire with a lot more people around. It COULD have been much worse with actual fatalities.

Uhhhhh... That could happen anywhere? Who is to say someone isn't going to open fire on a crowd at a "pre-game" party?

The people in charge should be ashamed of themselves. The shooting didn't happen because of the game, it didn't happen in the event, it just happened near a crowd of people. There is no logic in shutting down an entire event because some punk teen thought he was a gangster for a moment.

The majority of people who were having fun outside the arena (pre watch party days/regular season) before the game are people who are attending... Thunder Alley was there because people watched the game. This alternative isn't an alternative at all - it is the elimination of Thunder Alley.

The OKC Thunder don't really have anything to gain by continuing these 'watch parties'. Its not just the shooting (where the conflict appears to have started in front of the arena), its the sheer volume of people, drug use/selling, etc. It got too popular here just like in L.A. where they stopped hosting those at Staples Center after major problems.

Here's a story on NewsOK.com with a similar situation many years ago at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater:
    http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2...y-perspective/

I guess next up is the New Years Eve party downtown, which has way more people attend. I think someone downtown choked on a hotdog this last new years, that is way too dangerous - we need to shut down the entire event so no more hotdogs are sold to a crowd of hungry people that may not chew accordingly.